IN-VITRO FERTILISATION (IVF)
New to the UK in 2015, Animal Breeding Europe (AB Europe) is providing an In-Vitro fertilisation service, to enable sheep breeders to expand and develop their breeding potential and efficiencies.
The process uses proven and trusted New Zealand and Australian technology, developed by Animal Breeding Services NZ Ltd, undertaken by a dedicated and extensively trained lab technician to deliver positive results.
What are the advantages of IVF?
- Collection can occur repeatedly and safely every 7-10 days
- There is no requirement for repeated surgery on the donor ewes
- There is a reduced dependence on the process of super-ovulation; the preparation procedure is quick and simple
- Sheep that have reduced reproductive ability, e.g. failed super-ovulation, can enter the process
- Genetic recovery from slaughtered animals is possible
- Multiple sire use per service
What will the process entail?
You will identify donor sheep in the same way that you do for commercial MOET (Multiple Ovulation and Embryo Transfer).
In the first instance these donors will enter the Edinburgh Centre (we will roll out across the whole of the UK later), here they will be prepared and have unfertilised eggs or oocytes harvested laproscopically directly from the donor’s ovaries. The oocytes collected will be matured (IVM) and fertilised (IVF) in the “test tube” using single or multiple sires.
Next the embryos produced will be cultures for 6 days prior to their fresh embryo transfer or vitrification (a special type of freeze) followed by subsequent transfer.
For further information on costs, and to get a specific quote for your circumstances, please contact your local AB Europe centre:
AB Europe – Malvern centre
01531 651 210
AB Europe – Edinburgh centre
01875 614 500
Terms and conditions of sale apply.